Friday, January 8, 2016

Favorite Things

my older brother gave me two of my favorite things in life. A navy blue Coldplay coffee mug and a pair of brown leather, Nine West, round toed pumps, that I wore even on my wedding ten years later.

i didn’t really know or think of those things as my favorites in life, my treasures, but over time, these ordinary items have become precious to me.

my brother didn’t pick these items out for me. they weren’t gifts he thought up and wrapped for me. they were gifts i received by being in his company. gifts that may not have been as special, had i found them parceled and posted, but the time that i spent with him, that he spent with me on those occasions, turned my gifts into mementos and those mementos now add a bit of beauty and fondness to my daily life.

he took me to a coldplay concert in okc where i believe Fiona Apple opened the show. it was great to see both of those incredibly talented, awesomely stylish artists live. going with my brother and sharing the experience with him was what made it top notch, however. and he got me my mug.

the second gift, my beloved brown leather pumps. he took me to a movie once several years ago, although i can’t recall what we saw. we ducked in and out of nine west, but not without some seriously beautiful girly leather shoes. i hardly wore them because i loved them so much, i never wanted to dirty them. i have been wearing them more and more since, they have been my go to shoe in the past year, and were the perfect pair for my bridal ensemble this past November.

he would have bought me any shoe in that shop. because it was what i wanted, although he did tell me in his words, i’m sure, that he thought the pair i picked were lovely.

that is like God. he loves us and wants to give us nice things. it is when we spend time with him, like my brother, that he is able to truly love us. to hear our requests. i am not speaking of material gifts any longer, but now more, the gifts of the spirit. how much more precious a gift?

i may use my mug or my heels on any given day. they are dependable to me, and they are always there when i need them. tucked in my cupboard, on a shelf in the closet. i simply go grab them and enjoy!

that is much how his gifts work. they are always there. charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, chastity. tucked away in our hearts.

he has given them to us, all we need to do is access them. maybe you're rather organized and know right where they are, especially if you're in the habit of using them on a daily basis. perhaps, though, it's been a while since you've used these gifts. maybe you haven't noticed their absence. maybe you're not sure which gift you need access to per situation. i encourage you. spend time with your Father and he will guide you.

what fruit might you need today?

peace? patience? patience on a dream? a promise?

in the season of gift giving, i challenge you to keep these seven fruits on your mind. and to know that whichever one is called for today, all you have to do is pray, ask the lord, and get in the Word. let us value charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, chastity, above insecurity, fear of the future, above gossip, competition, division, dissension.

and when you are thinking of that perfect gift for that special someone, perhaps it is a trip to the movies and a surprise gift from a favorite shop that will add to their life one of their most favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment