Monday, December 8, 2014

Finally, brothers and sisters,

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Philippians 4:8 Yesterday this scripture was running through my mind with a bit of revelation. I considered the fact that whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, varies from person to person. While I may find a camping trip lovely, you may find it uncomfortable and therefore undesirable. It's a beautiful scripture in the Word. One that many people are capable of reciting. Preached, I'm certain, from nearly every pulpit that's ever existed. One of my favorites and because of that fact, I brushed the "bit of revelation" aside and continued on in my day. But this morning, it was the verse of the day on YouVerse. Out of thousands of scripture that could have been the verse of the day, it was this one. And the Lord spoke to my heart. True. Noble. Right. Pure. Lovely. Admirable. Excellent. Praiseworthy. Think about such things. Why??? Why did Paul give us these very specific instructions on what we should entertain in our minds? He goes on to tell us in verse 9 when he writes, "Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you (italics added). There. So that we can have peace. So any time I'm dealing with a subjective subject -- I love words -- I try and always bring it back to the law that brings freedom. Matthew 22:36-40King James Version (KJV) 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment